summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Saturday, August 29, 2015

sunshine and roses....


Spending time with this guy...my 8th child...my 20 year old Sammers. He is stationed down in Washington D.C./Arlington/Virginia, but had training up at Fort Drum for the week. We were able to drive up and get him last weekend, then return him on Sunday. He found out on Thursday that he would be leaving Drum on Saturday morning, but got permission to leave from Thursday to Friday...a short visit, but he wanted to see...Mali's baby!

It was totally worth driving up there on Thursday...I left at 3:30 and got back here with him at 8:30.

Mali was tired, but she was a good sport and came back here for a second visit of the day, so she could spend time with Sam. It was absolutely amazing to see Sam with the baby.

Then yesterday morning...after my walk...it was time to make some cookies! Emily's company is catering a wedding today, and the bride wants 200 chocolate chip cookies, which is just my thing. I baked over a hundred, right up to the time we absolutely had to leave to get Sam back to base on time.


We had time to stop for lunch at Taco Bell. This is Jonny and Samuel...and let me just say this: the more things change. Sam didn't want me to take his picture, but I did anyway.




Evelyn and Jonathan and Char and Cam went along for the ride, and got to see the Army base.


Sometimes goodbyes are too sad, so I snapped this of these guys while Sam said goodbye to Evelyn.


Saying bye to Camille...I missed the one where he scooped Char right up into the air.

Sam loves the kids. I know it's hard for him to be away from home, as grown up as he is. Having some time with him was great, he has such a big heart.

Anyhow...after the long drive home, I had more cookies to make. Two hundred four cookies, all packed up safely, in gallon sized baggies, by the dozen...17 bags. There were extra ones, the ones that didn't come out round enough or that got dinged when I pulled the parchment paper off the pans...the kids happily helped with those ones. And I decided to eat a few, you know, carbing up and all...Joseph says that when you eat low carb for an extended period of time, your body adjusts and your metabolism slows down so you HAVE to carb up every week or so...and yeah, cookies aren't the healthiest choice, but I never at them anymore...and they were SO good. After all that work, it was nice to eat some and know that the bride is getting some really good cookies.

Evelyn and Jonathan were grilling some steaks at the same time as I was baking...let's just say they were a bit overdone...but oh so yummy...baking and eating little bites of steak, pieces of raw green pepper, and sliced cucumbers...oh, what a life.

This fine morning, I took my walk, took care of the pool, and here I sit. I registered for jury duty, arranged for Kathryn to work at the baseball game, and not much else. Paul and I have to leave in a few hours to help do food prep, then go to the wedding site to help out there.

Tomorrow, Paul leaves for Florida for the week, for work. It's the last week of summer vacation for my school kids, Evelyn needs a new backpack, and Suzanne needs a few things...and Sonja probably does too. We haven't used our Adirondack amusement park coupons yet, but I don't know if I am up for camping this week without Paul...

Only 24 days until our trip out west! Never a dull moment, I tell you.









No comments: