summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Tuesday, August 18, 2015

if only life was a beach....



Molly had a day off from work, and wanted to go to the beach...so, being a nice mom, I went with her. We only took these three....

The babies...Camille, Jonathan, and Char...



It was a beautiful day for the beach. It was almost too hot, with a slight breeze...the water was clear and warm, the waves were fun but not dangerous. Lake Ontario, ahhh.

We got home and grilled burgers...Kathryn and Evelyn are home from Norway now, and the table felt more normal, less empty and quiet. Although, I did sincerely appreciate spending more time with Suzanne and Sonja for those days the other girls were gone.

And summer is flying by. I want it to slow.down. The heat wave is settled upon us, with humidity and 90 degree (32.2C) days...the pool water is so warm it barely refreshes, but believe me, I am not complaining. It is clear and clean, and we swam after dinner last night as the sun set. No, I can't complain.

This fine morning, I didn't listen to any of the fine excuses I wanted to make, and put my sneakers on and went for my walk. I am always glad when I do, yet I always tend to have to fight myself to get out the door.

Jonathan was up and showered, all ready to go shopping with his Grandma.

And now the day stretches before us...nothing scheduled until evening, when the older kids have a meeting and sports. I need more coconut oil, but won't go shopping unless it gets rainy.

There ARE things I should do, of course, besides just enjoying the summer day. I need to get working on this year's school curriculum, and there are always closets to clean and things to sort. My laundry room looks like a tornado hit it. The refrigerator needs to be cleaned out, and my room...well, let's just keep that door closed.

Evelyn is having eggs with Charlotte Claire, and Cam is playing with my phone. She is sending texts from her room to Evelyn, who is at the kitchen table.

Yesterday, I told Jonathan to remember this day, when the winter winds are so bitter we freeze going from the deck to the van, and our feet get numb when we shovel the driveway. Remember how hot the sand is on your feet, but how it is cool when you bury them in the deeper sand. Remember how yummy that ice cold Wild Cherry drink was, and how it feels to just lie on the blanket and roast, after getting out of the water. Store it all up, because in January or February, it won't seem like it can possibly be real.

Charlotte Claire is asking me if there are going to be t.v. screens on the backs of the seats on the plane we are taking across the country next month. 35 days, not that we're counting:) In fact, we ARE counting, I firmly believe that half the fun is the looking forward, and we are doing that! Just going on a plane is exciting enough for these guys, but seeing Anya and Ben and Ashley! Seeing Seattle! Going to the mountain! way way way too much fun to even contemplate.

And now, we are going to enjoy this summer day....

No comments: