summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Thursday, April 16, 2015

don't throw stones if you live in a glass house...

Most of us just don't realize what our own houses are made of. Remember the saying, "There, for the grace of God, go I"? Or something like that. I read news stories, and sometimes the accompanying comments. No mercy. For example, a local doctor has been arrested for writing hundreds of prescriptions for himself. He is addicted to pain medicine. Those leaving comments are ready to stone him as a criminal. What he did was wrong, but does anyone think for one minute that he worked so hard to get his medical degree...and at 36 years old, WANTED to find himself in ruins? Addiction is tricky, because it sneaks up on people. Never do it in the first place, they say. But painkillers are different. People are exposed to them for legitimate reasons, and find that they take the edge off of life. My children who aren't children any more and are nurses see so many "nice" people who are there for the meds. I just don't think prison time is the answer.

Anyway. I don't have much time for speculation this morning, can't solve the world's problems. I have to get ready, I'm leaving in just a few hours to go to the opening game for the minor league baseball team. New food this year, blah. We actually have for sale a deep fried hot dog. Today, opening day, is also Dollar Thursday...which means hot dogs and sodas are a buck, one dollar...and beer is two dollars. wow, right? It means we will be BUSY, especially because it is a beautiful sunny warm spring day. I don't mind being at the stadium though...it's outside, and the happiness of being there after a long winter is contagious.

Thankfulness is contagious, too.

Today, my little friend is coming over again! He is my sister's grandson, and he is a doll. We absolutely love him. He's only three years old, and can ready ANYTHING. We have a map of the United States on the kitchen wall, going for that classy look, and he can find the state capitols. If you could just hear the way he says, "Honolulu". Then, he sat next to me on the couch, looked at me, and said, "Delaware." Ha, I said, "What did Delaware?" He answered with a smirk, "A brand New Jersey." This child just turned three in January. He is so funny, yet so smart...and he just loves to come over and play. I love how my little girls are so nurturing of him. They love having someone smaller to fuss about.

Anyway, there will be fun everywhere today.

And with that, I have to get moving...

2 comments:

Lisa said...

What a thought provoking post. I agree with you - we all have sinned and in God's eyes, they're all the same. Nature, society, the way we treat people and animals, it's just not the way God intended. But we do have a choice to make on a personal level as to how we walk in this life. And the choice to show mercy. Thanks for your perspective. :)

Susan said...

So refreshing to see compassion regarding addiction. I am a nurse too and have worked for many years in the field of drug and alcohol. I have yet to meet a single person who wanted to be an addict.
We also have a situation in our tiny town with the physician who is the head of the ER being arrested for forging Rx. He is a Christian man and has been well loved in our community. Addiction does not discriminate.