summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Tuesday, March 10, 2015

home again, again...

Our little getaway was nice...the pool, the hot tub...stretching out on a comfy bed watching my favorite home renovating shows on cable, which we don't have here at home, good thing. Unfortunately, I ate too many Tootsie Rolls...I am not one of those, "yuck, I don't like candy, it's too sweet" kind of girls.

Sleep...well, it was scarce. I took several naps during the night. At times I just sat up in the bed and listened to the symphony of sounds...sleeping in a room with six other people...plus, I may have had a teeny bit too much coffee.

We got home today, and I took a nap. I crawled into my big comfy bed, and slept for a few hours. I had to. Because there is tired, and there is ZOMBIE. See, on Sunday night I watched that scary movie with the girls...and headed to bed around midnight, scared out of my wits. I decided to read for a while, and duh, I read the entire book from cover to cover...oops. 4 in the morning, and I was falling asleep...

So I started this little getaway tired...and ended it: ZOMBIE.

I had to take a nap because my daughters Emily and Margaret are heading back from their little trip to France and Norway, and don't know for sure if they are getting in tonight at midnight, or tomorrow afternoon..they will let me know at ten tonight. With a trip to the airport possibly looming, I had to take a nap.

And a lovely nap it was.

Now my older kids are at the youth meeting, and the younger three are watching, "Star Wars". It is too quiet in here.

I worked out this afternoon, after I woke up, cleaned the kitchen and washed dishes and did laundry...not a spectacular work out, but then none of mine have ever amounted to much. But I was in better shape when I did it consistently. I did swim this morning in the pool a bit, too.

But most importantly, today I had NO TOOTSIE ROLLS.

The Northeast is thawing out. The snowbanks are still as tall as me, at the end of my driveway, but the snow is melting. The kids went outside today and sank into it as they walked around. The roof is covered with ice and snow and Joseph is afraid of heights and of the combination of heights and ice, which I blame him not...and I am certainly not getting up there...I hope it all just falls down nicely without soaking into our roof.

The snow is going to melt and I am going to find myself missing it, when these two dogs of ours come romping in the door all muddy pawed.

Aw well, there is always something to witch about if you look hard enough.

You know what I am excited about? I am going to be a Grandma again. I don't know how that is properly said, because I already am a Grandma of one sweet little Anya...and now Mali is going to have a baby...and I am so excited about it I can't see straight. She has this adorable tummy already...and has names picked out...her baby is going to be LOVED. Mali herself is a very kind and tenderhearted girl. She is a nurse, and she has worked her butt off to get where she is. She has worked 12 hour night shifts, pausing for morning sickness, then back to work.

For her sake, I would wish things had been different...that she would be married first...but this is not really my business. She is 21 years old, and her life is her own. She has the love and support and prayers of her ten sisters and five brothers, and her parents and friends behind her. We will help her out in any way we can..in fact, Jonathan has already declared that he will be the baby's favorite. And I only say that I wish things were different because I want what's best for her. Life isn't easy, and no mom wants to see their child struggle, all grown up or not.

Ah well...Evelyn wants help with her math homework, Paul is in France, he is the math helper, the kids' movie is over and they are settling in for the night, so I have to tuck them in and pray with them...

















No comments: