summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Wednesday, November 19, 2014

but i'm scared!

I don't go many places alone. Why would I? There are countless companions around here to go adventuring with. Today, for example, I took a quick trip to Wallyworld to pay for an order I had put in online, long story never mind. But instead of striking out alone, Suze (13) came along. We took a quick detour to the thrift store, which she doesn't love, but I do. (I got Char and Cam jackets, from L.L.Bean and Land's End, for cheap! And adorable snowman candlestick holders for a dollar each. And a $2 shirt for Jon. And a whole box of angel ornaments for $3.99.)

Anyway. Aaron is flying out to Seattle Washington in a few weeks to visit Ben and Ashley for a couple of days. I want to go with him. Tickets are $300, so Paul said Merry Christmas, go see your grand daughter. I said, YAY! But. Aaron already bought his ticket, and to get the same flight as him would be almost $500. blah. Or, I could just go the same day on a different flight and pay the $300. I.do.not.want.to.fly.across.the.country.alone. The way back has TWO stops. Oh I know, I am a big baby. But. I don't want to! Yet, I seriously want to go visit that grand baby, and see my son and Ashley. Oh I do I do.

Benjamin is texting me to just do it, don't think about it, just do it. I don't know. All by my lonesome? Will I know where to go and what to do? He said just get a coffee and wait for my next flight. Coffee? hmm, maybe....

And did you know that the coffee there on the west coast is yum? And, on every corner? hmmmm.....

9 comments:

Martha said...

Be brave. If I can fly cross country alone, so can you. Think of it as an adventure!
:0)

Tereza said...

just do it!!!!!!!

Heidi DeGroot said...

Just do it!! And do exactly what Ben said, grab a coffee and wait it will be no problem. Grab a good book and wait for your flight. You do all these adventurous things with all those children of yours :). You CAN do it!!

Anonymous said...

You can do it! I've flown across the world by myself and even flew last year on a 30 hour trip from NZ to Texas with two small children (ages 4 and 5). If I can do that you can fly alone across the country. I know you can!

Susan said...

You are very friendly and so if you encounter any problems just approach another traveler and you will get instant help (and probably make a new friend in the process!).
I think that a woman who has successfully raised 18 children is capable of pretty much anything!

WicketsMom said...

Just do it, it is not that bad and actually relaxing to have some time alone. I've had a couple of solo flights including one to the Bahamas, and our last couple of family trips it was just me and our seven year old (flying separately from my husband since we used points). The stress level actually decreases with fewer people along, even when the other one is an adult!

16 blessings'mom said...

Susan, only 16 children:)....you guys are right. I am going to talk to Aaron tonight, and probably book my flight. I can do this!

Kathyb1960 said...

Hey if I can do it, YOU can do it. I flew to St Louis w/ 2 stops, so let me give you a couple of hints.

Go online and check out whatever airport you have to change planes at. Figure out how much time you have btwn planes, where your arrival gate is, and where your departure gate is. And the most direct route.

Also, if it's a long way btwn gates, find a tram, or a baggage cart--not sure what it's actually called--that carries passengers. I have bad knees too, plus I was sick, so that really came in handy. And it's very nice to get to your gate early and look around to see what is nearby, such as restrooms, or places to shop, or places to eat.

I have done the airport plan for several friends, and they said it helped a lot to know when and where and how much time!

You can do it!!!

16 blessings'mom said...

Kathy, I shall do that! I just booked the flight!