summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

in a temporary moment of insanity...

I decided to post some pictures of what things really look like around here...like me, after I worked out.
the view of the back yard from the lunch table...nice, except for the taped screen.
The Shoe Organizer. We need like five more of these.

lots of coats and shoes
the desk I inherited from my mom...which I don't really like, but it reminds me of her.
This one was a lttle hard to post...because our water is very hard, leaving iron residue...we even have a filter on the 'fridge, so this water is better than what comes from the sink...and the top of the microwave, dang it needs to be cleaned off...when i looked at this picture I thought, "wow, someone has some work to do..."
This lovely college girl walked in while I was taking this picture, Miss Mirielle. She was thrilled about it.
my spotless kitchen with the dishes all caught up...with the Broken Cupboard in the corner. It has been broken for so long, we just put stuff in it, and refer to it as The Broken Cupboard.
we DO have a nice view out those awful windows...
dining room table with mismatched chairs...and my lunch, and Camille's Ariel doll
this shot highlights our nice window...Paul replaced one a few years back. He is going to finish the trim soon. I think. Under the window is the Mitten Bin, covered with coats that don't fit on the hooks. And that IS a huge bag of chocolate chips.
this is our Red Chair, primarily used by the princesses to look in the mirror. The crooked mirror with the handprints on it, next to the other sets of hand prints on the wall.
our coffee table as a movie/dvd player/Wii shelf...it is only temporary, we are getting a nice shelf one of these days. That's what I told myself..um, has it been over five years already?
this shows the rotting window frame AND the lack of trim on the wall where it meets the floor...we just put these floors in not too long ago! Three years maybe?
the Clothes Monster which ever lives on our couch
cozy living room
my comfy chair
the computer table next to Rosie's cage. Like the towel on the window keeping the heat in?
Charlotte Claire when she got home from school and announced that she had lost her third tooth. Slow down, please, Char. The toothfairy cannot keep up with this.

So why this insanity? Not just to embarrass myself, or the kids. But to say this: things do not have to be perfect in order to be happy. I don't like the way alot of things are around here, but has it killed me? Not yet. Of course I am ever hopeful we will get around to fixing and upgrading, and I will get more organized and clean up clutter. But my point is that while it is nice to be comfy and clean, the house doesn't have to be like out of a magazine in order to have a good life.

And I am not completely insane, there are no Laundry Room pictures.

I am not hungry. I keep telling myself this. Why in the world am I plagued with this urge to munch? Today I have had my nice breakfast of oatmeal with crunchy peanutbutter and blueberries, then an egg with bacon bits, and a grapefruit. Then a serving of veggie stix. I will have a yogurt with my coffee when the kids get home, then dinner. But I keep wanting to have something more, I am thinking of ice cream and cookies, or a big bowl of cereal. I am not hungry, so this is just a mental battle here. And no, I cannot just give in because....well, I gained three pounds! Since yesterday! No gradual gain, just WHAM, three pounds! No fair, no fair!!! The scale needs to go the OTHER WAY!! I am not going to go off the deep end about it, but I need to be careful, and careful does NOT include ice cream.

The kids are coming home soon, today was a strange day, writing in the afternoon instead of morning because Jerry The Cable Guy came to fix the internet. So off I go to make that coffee, and NOT have any Bad Things to eat...

12 comments:

Sherah said...

Loved seeing your real house, and all the places you talk about so often! I love that you have 16 kids and yet you *don't* have an enormous kitchen - you make due with what you have. Our kitchen is half the size of yours and I have half the kids you do, lol, so I can relate in a kind of strange way!

I also LOVE love love oatmeal in the morning, and I am currently on day 2 of starting to really work at losing the pregnancy weight, 30 pounds. Funny that you wrote you had the munchies, cuz I carefully measured out 3/4 cup of oatmeal with blueberries, cinnamon, honey, and vanilla so it would be the right amount of calories,and now that I'm done, I am catching myself with these wandering thoughts towards the kitchen!

But no! I'm going to drink alot of water and remind myself that it takes a while for my stomach to catch up to my brain, and I am going to wait to snack until the kids come home from school. Keep up the good work, and remember the weight gain is a staggering jagged line, not straight down (I wish!).

Good job in advance for not giving in!

Tereza said...

I'm so comforted byt his post!! When ever we put in a new floor or do anything its NEVER completed!!! I have broken copboard doors here and there and recently the tv room door fell of...just fell off...for no reason!! It's still sitting there off...the funny thing is...when the kids wanna watch soemthing they stand the door where its supposed to be...AS IF IT WASNT EVEN BROKEN:):):):) Just like your kitchen cabinet door:)
I often think about the same thing that things dont have to be perfect to live a good and happy life..
same with looking really good, haveing the perfect mate, perfect kids etc

Rebecca said...

I think this is my favorite post ever. Seeing real life in another mom's house makes me feel better about the clutter, and messes at my house. :)

Kathyb1960 said...

Would you believe that my parents have that EXACT same desk! It has a roll-top, right? And the bottom drawer on each side is a little bigger/deeper than the others?

That is so interesting that the desks are alike since we live down here in TX, and you guys are WAYYYY up there in...what state are you in? LOL

I think you have a very nice house. It just looks lived in to me!

Congratulations on the weight loss! Your doing GREAT!

MC said...

I grew up in a house where the clothes monster resided on the couch. :-) It can be a challenge to keep everything organized with a bunch of folks at home, particularly when they're all coming and going. (I have 12 siblings, so I DO understand. I've tried to tell my mom she should read your blog, because I think the two of you could relate.) :-)

I've been reading (and lurking) for a while, but thought I'd pop in and comment. Keep encouraged on the weight loss effort, as well. I'm also working at it, and it can be a daily battle. Sounds like you're doing pretty well. :-)

Mike and Katie said...

Thank you for posting. It makes me want to hug you. Kids are very messy. The other day I took pictures of little miss Julia while my mom had the kids outside instead of folding four baskets of laundry. I said that I did it because my laundry will look the same next week, Little Julia will not.

Kim Chrisman said...

Hi Della

I haven't posted in a long while but I haven't missed a post! I just had to say that you look amazing!!! Your face is really thin and why do you always look so tan? Jealous here:)
You have a nice house filled with happy kids. I know so many people with beautiful show homes and no love in them at all. I know this because their kids were always at my house because we played games, laughed and loved each other. You have all the things that matter:))

Blessings

Kim chrisman

Mum said...

Thank you, thank you for your blog, your honesty and for being a constant source of inspiration. I only have five children and I seem incapable of keeping everything in its place. I had to have a moving company come around and do a complete inventory yesterday before our up coming move. With a 3 week old baby, my two week long chest infection and too many little people 'helping' (what was I thinking letting the 1,3,and 5 year olds help sort through the wardrobes!), my house is in the worst state it has ever been. As these two men opened one cupboard after the next, I kept telling myself this won't actually kill me... I can grow and be more humble. Sigh. For what it is worth your house looks like a show case house in comparison to mine. keep going with your determination, you have done an incredible job with your weight loss and you are wining!

Archer's Mum said...

i love this post! and btw i'm collecting mismatched wooden chairs for our dinning room- going to paint them all white- vintage chic, lol :)

Humble wife said...

Welcome to being normal. I love your house, it is warm and cozy!!

Jennifer

Martha said...

:)
I like your house. What are you doing on Wednesdays?

K said...

I'm curious on how you handle sharing of bedrooms with the kids? I'm guessing it's not done Duggar style with all the girls in one, boys in the other.